Our friends, Jamie & Maggie

Okay, this story is
for all the
mothers out there. Just yesterday, I was watching Maggie (my friend Shannon's little girl). Her mother and I switch off baby sitting, so we can volunteer up at the elementary schools that our older children attend. I was just about to walk out of the door with Will & Maggie (giving myself an extra ten minutes) to go and pick up Ryan from school... when Maggie filled her diaper. Realizing that I do not have her diaper bag and calculating that it will be about 45 minutes until I meet Shannon... I improvise. I remember that I have a small stash of leftover cloth diapers (that were decorative handouts at a recent baby shower). So, I grab a cloth diaper and some wet paper towels and begin to tackle the mess. At that exact moment, Will's nose starts gushing blood. I direct him over by the phone to a box of tissues and quickly attempt to clean a bottom and safety pin a cloth diaper. Will leaves a nice trail of blood all over the carpet. After, I get the bloody nose under control I glance at the clock. We still have one minute before we will be late... so I pull Will's bloody clothes off and put fresh ones on, and spray spot remover on the carpet. I am now totally sweating from running around. Then, I huddle everyone out to the garage. I run inside to grab the tissue box... just in case the wad up his nose is not enough. When I return to the garage, I begin to pick up Maggie to strap her into the car seat, but I realize she has just wet herself. I strip off her shoes and pants and leave them in a puddle on the garage floor. I grab the other cloth diaper that I have and some of Will's old underwear to use as a makeshift diaper cover? I know that I am going to look to some as the "late mom, with a half naked child." But I feel accomplished... like I have taken lemons and made lemonade. So I strap everyone in and head for Ryan's school. I am ten minutes late. When I get to Ryan's class she asks, "Where have you been?"
I just had to LAUGH OUT LOUD!
I should tell her the truth - that being a mother is like crisis management. It is the best and worst job in the world. Becoming a mother is like falling in love. It's CRAZY but there is nothing better in the whole world. But, I know that no words can adequately describe that. I just hope that one day she will know for herself.
So, to all the mothers out there... our job is both the best and the worst at times... but it is always the most important! Thank you for doing your job... and I promise that I will not be too judgmental if you show up late with a half naked child to school one day. :)
P.S. if you like to laugh... I highly recommend motherhood for you. Laughing is a required attribute for the job. (Otherwise you go insane).
5 comments:
Love this story! It totally made me laugh!
HAHAHA Welcome to my insane life everyday. I was cracking up!!! Sometimes I feel like I am the only one running around like a chicken with her head cut off. Wouldn't trade it for anything else though!
~Kelly
Hehehe........
I keep re-running this story in my mind and it is making me laugh my head off! Been there, but it has been a while. I actually miss those crazy times a little bit (but not too much). Now we're bracing ourselves for the teen years and then I'm sure we'll be wishing we only had poop to deal with :) If Zach goes too crazy we'll ship him off to live with you guys and you can whip him into shape....
Hi! I'm a friend of Nola Hallen's, and I came across your blog through her blog and I just wanted to comment on this post. Amen, sister!! We are all in this together and should cut each other some slack. It is difficult at times, but that's part of the package, right?? Thanks for this cute and inspirational post. Carmen, mom to 6 (1 girl and 5 boys!)
Post a Comment